Fight For a Cure

Haley Webb

Student participants enjoy guest speakers at Relay For Life

Chris Lipford, Writer

Relay For Life is an event held every two years at West to help raise money for the American Cancer Society.  The event started at six P.M. and lasted until six A.M. on Friday, September 30th.

Students can create a team with their friends and raise money as a group with fundraisers.  Each student needs to raise $100 in order to  stay the night.

Senior Jacob Martin raised the most money for West with an astounding total of $790.  Team “Holy Walkamolies” raised the most money, out off all 37 teams, with a total of $2,629.

The relay for life committee set up a night full of activities and games.  Some of these activities were a volleyball tournament, dodgeball tournament, and a zumba class.  These activities engaged a big crowd and students came to watch even if they weren’t playing.

Before the games began, the Relay For Life team had Gale Higley came, and talked about her battle with cancer.  She kicked of the night with an inspiring speech. Higley had ovarian cancer when she was younger.  

Cancer survivors walked the first lap around the track while all the groups of students cheered them on.  

There were luminaria surrounding the inside track with names of people affected by cancer.  Students could submit their own by decorating them and writing a message on the bag as well.  

About halfway through the night, the leaders designated a specific time dedicated to these luminarias. It was a very affectionate and emotional part of the night.  Students walked or sat around the track reminiscing on their loved ones and connected as a community.

Relay For Life is a great way to connect each high school around the country and help spread awareness for a cause. The group raises an immense amount of money that is all donated to the American Cancer Society.  Relay keeps teenagers involved in the fight for cancer and will hopefully help find a cure.