Shawnee Mission West's online student newspaper

Photo Of The Week

photo by Malcom Luna

Latest Tweets

Just Another Miley Rant

Remember when Hannah Montana rocked the bleach blonde wig and had the best of both worlds? Now Miley Cyrus has found a new identity…a very strange over the top identity.

“We Can’t Stop” is the bomb.com, don’t deny it. It’s a fun anthem that depicts our youthful wild side. The music video shows Miley Cyrus dancing provocatively (if thats what you want to call it) and enjoying a party. Within the video, giant teddy bears are strapped to the backs of the dancers and even the word “twerk” spelled out in a spoon of Alphabet Soup. It seems like the only thing Cyrus can’t stop doing is sticking that darn tongue out every chance she gets. Next time a someone approaches me, I’m going to show just how swaggy I am and stick out my tongue…you know, because it’s cool.

Cyrus performed her hit at the VMA’s and also collabed with Robin Thicke. This was Miley’s moment to prove how fabulous she is or could be, not just a crazy girl who doesn’t care about values. I was disappointed with her performance. It was sloppy, kind of trashy, and made me feel a little bit uncomfortable. Cyrus was “twerking” with Robin Thicke and I was disgusted. She also had this foam finger and was gesturing it to inappropriate places. Before this performance, I was ecstatic for her new album, Bangerz. After the performance, I wanted to go bathe in holy water.

Cyrus recently released her new single, “Wrecking Ball”. Such a beautiful song with meaningful lyrics about destructive love. It was nice to hear something more meaningful and mellow from our silly Cyrus. I’ve been playing this song on repeat for the past couple of weeks and I can’t get over it, I applaud Cyrus for this single.

The “Wrecking Ball” music video started off beautiful and simplistic. Cyrus was placed in front of a white backdrop with red painted on her lips and her blue eyes really shined. Shortly after this pretty scene, the video started to become sketchy. She started to lick a sledgehammer and swing naked on a wrecking ball. The nudity isn’t so much of a big deal because Rihanna and many other females have done the same thing, but the swinging and licking of the wrecking ball chain was weird. Supposedly, Cyrus has released a statement to explain the deeper meaning of her awkward actions and many fans are very supportive with her reasoning. If you ask me, I think the star is trying way too hard to be “different.” The music video kills the vibe of the song and the emotion. It’s kind of a sad song but I can’t help but to laugh when I see a little nude boy-like girl swinging from a giant ball.

At the end of the day, I have to give Miley Cyrus props for being the way she is. Yes, we may all complain about her new attitude and style but aren’t you still listening to her music? I am still listening to her music and I am excited to see what Bangerz has in store. Continue to shock the world Miley Cyrus and continue to flash us with your freakishly long tongue.