2013 Video Game Preview

The last quarter of each year is when the most popular video games are released. The yearly installments in major video games series’ are very hyped this year, whether it be a sports or action game. Here are some big-time releases in the next couple of months.

Madden NFL 25-Released Aug. 27

This year’s Madden is the 25th anniversary of the franchise, created in 1989. It has some new modes, such as Owner Mode, where it puts you in control of a team’s staff, finances, and the stadium. It also has nice screen shots before games to show past Madden photos. Three players have a 99 rating this year, including running back Adrian Peterson, wide receiver Calvin Johnson, and defensive lineman J.J. Watt.

Grand Theft Auto V-Released Sep. 17

After the critical acclaim of GTA IV (rating of 10 on IGN) in 2008, the next installment includes the three main characters: Michael, Franklin, and Trevor. A new map named Los Santos is also included along with a brand new multiplayer releasing October 1. The new multiplayer is like never before as it has a thriving online community that plays like a single player. It takes place after the storyline and is located in Los Santos.

FIFA 14-Releases Sep. 24

What can FIFA do next? It seems as though they had run out of ideas after last year’s installment, but I guess not. The new Precision Movement allows a different basis of every character model. It was made for the next-gen consoles, so apparently it feels weird to play on the current-gen consoles. Now sprinting and shielding techniques should make it more realistic than ever, as you should only need to sprint at specific times, not just all the time.

NBA 2K14-Releases Oct. 1

Could the NBA 2K series keep getting better and better? The addition of Virtual Currency last year improved the game mightily. This year’s game is based solely on two-time NBA champion LeBron James. A new mode, titled “Path to Greatness” is basically a Creating a Legend mode with just LeBron James. There are no details besides this. The online crews are back, where your crew of five will be able to play against another group of five online. Also, fourteen Euroleague teams are included (e.c. Real Madrid). “MyTeam is going to be better than ever,” said SM West junior Brandon Ortega. “They claimed there aren’t any cheesy moves this year, such as spin dunks and eurostep 3s”. The question is: Will it surpass the last three classic games?

Batman: Arkham Origins-Releases Oct. 25

After the first two amazing video games in this series (Asylum, City), its nice to see that the third one is a prequel. So, if you haven’t played the first two, it’s okay to start with this one. Plus, for the first time, it includes a full multiplayer game mode. It is a 2 v. 3 v. 3, where the two are Batman and Robin, and there are two teas of three, which are bad guys, or goons, including the Joker and Bane. To win, you have to control the control points (sort of like Domination in Call of Duty).

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag-Releases Oct. 29

The sixth installment in this historical open-world adventure is set to release on October 29. This game will feature three major cities in Havana, Kingston, and Nassau. It is reported to have very few restrictions, with missions similar to those in Assassin’s Creed I. The hunting system from last year’s game, Assassin’s Creed III, is going to be retained as well. “It’s a more open world with over fifty different islands,” said SM West junior, Karan Sarai. “There is a different character who actually has a more personal life than normal.”

Call of Duty: Ghosts-Releases Nov. 5

This is the tenth major installment in the Call of Duty series. In this first-person shooter game, the multiplayer will be just like before. Although, in Ghosts, places on the map can be altered and destroyed now. And new “dual-render technology” for snipers will help them see around the outside of the scope when zoomed in, and there is also a new nuke killstreak. As for the campaign and storyline, it takes place in the future following an attack from space. Because of this, the United States lost its dominant status. Ten years later, a giant group comes in to take over the state and military.