Shawnee Mission West's online student newspaper

Photo Of The Week

photo by Malcom Luna

Latest Tweets

Inside The Ink

18. The age at which getting tattoos is legal. Many students have already reached this age and have gone out to get inked, and three students share the stories of their tattoos and the meaning behind each one.

Senior Hunter McTarsney recently got a tattoo, a green clover, on his left calf. Because of his heritage, this tattoo represents his cultural background – he’s Irish.

“I got it because of my Irish family. It kind of represents the pride of my people,” McTarsney said.

Taking a measly 45 minutes, McTarsney got his tattoo at Aftershock off East Santa Fe Trail in Overland Park.

When it comes to more personal terms, senior Celine Sweet made sure to represent that on her body. Suffering from an eating disorder for the past six years, Sweet decided to get the National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA) logo stamped on her foot.

“ I wanted a constant reminder of where I have been and where I am now in my recovery,” Sweet said.

It also represents her goals after high school, as she wants to be a counselor for adolescents that suffer from eating disorders. She also hopes to make a difference in the future with the tattoo representing a serious disease.

“I hope to raise awareness about teen eating disorders, when people see this tattoo I hope they ask me what it means so I can advocate for all those sufferers who don’t have a voice due to their eating disorder,” Sweet said.

But no matter what the future holds for Sweet, her tattoo will always be a reminder of her past and present.

“It’s a part of me that has shaped who I am today,” Sweet.

Senior Alex Golden also has a personal story behind his tattoo. He got his tattoo in honor of his mother, who passed away three years ago.

“It’s a way for me to honor my mom. It keeps me reminding of her,” Golden said.

Located on his right shoulder, Golden’s tattoo, which he got at Skin Illustrations, features his mom’s initials, birth and death year, and a butterfly infront of a cross.

“It reminds me of her every time I see it,” Golden said.

These three students will forever have these tattoos as a part of themselves, as they will always represent something that is important to them – no matter what that thing is.

Photo by Ryan Lansdon