Shawnee Mission West's online student newspaper

Photo Of The Week

photo by Malcom Luna

Latest Tweets

Cheddar’s Chowdown

Cheddar%E2%80%99s+Chowdown

Walking into Cheddar’s, the restaurant was packed. Not many people were waiting to be seated, but the crowd was similar to the usual 7 p.m. crowd.  It was around 9 p.m. and we were greeted by a familiar face, senior Shoncy McKinney, and immediately seated. I couldn’t help but notice the gigantic ceiling fan in the main dining room with oversized blades.  It was unusual but at the same time gave the restaurant a unique vibe.

Cheddar’s was founded in Arlington, Texas in 1979 and the Overland Park location opened in December 2009. I had been meaning to try out the restaurant that had been given great reviews by friends and finally had a reason to go.

Our waiter took our drink orders soon after we were seated and brought them out in good time. The menu was “user-friendly” and offered a variety of choices. I was torn between the chicken tenders and baby back ribs. Fortunately for me, there was a combo section on the menu including both the chicken tenders and the baby back ribs. The meal also came with a choice of two sides; I chose Idaho mashed potatoes and corn.

While waiting for my meal, I observed the pleasant atmosphere. The furniture and structure of the restaurant was quite modern. The lights were lightly dimmed and gave off a calming mood. There was still a good amount of customers inside Cheddar’s, however our conversation at the table was not drowned out by others.

Our meal was brought to the table about 20 minutes after ordering. I started off with the baby back ribs and they turned out to be good, but not great. I happily ate them, but they were nothing like my mom’s homemade ribs. The corn was a little too salty for my liking; however, I tend to have a low tolerance for salted foods. I put the corn aside and enjoyed the chicken tenders and the mashed potatoes. The chicken tenders were perfectly breaded; not too much breading, but just enough.

The portions were large, not only for the combo meals but the other entrees as well. I brought home the rest of my food, which was perfect for lunch the following day. It wasn’t as tasty as the night before, but that is common for leftovers.

Cheddar’s is most comparable to local restaurants such as Applebee’s or Houlihan’s, however Cheddar’s is much more affordable. I will definitely be returning to Cheddar’s in the near future due to the great service and surprisingly cheap prices.

Cheddar’s Casual Cafe
11865 W. 95th St.
Overland Park, Kansas 66214