Shawnee Mission West's online student newspaper

Photo Of The Week

photo by Malcom Luna

Latest Tweets

Maiden Voyage

Maiden+Voyage

The world is in a period of change, and technological upheaval, and the media world is no exception. Printed stories are slowly, but surely, finding themselves replaced by the Internet, thanks to the global population that comes with it.

With this in mind students are trying to be a part of this cultural revolution by starting their own website. The website, smwest.com, is a convergence of video and written work. Various students from the radio and TV program, as well as students from the newspaper are put into a class with the intentions of collaborating and producing a website named The Voyager. Three main editors lead the Voyager, each bringing different skills to the table.

“The class is lead by three editors: me, Ann Wade, and Timothy Dodderidge,” Evan Baker, webmaster and senior, said.

Baker is the creator of the website; he is in charge of putting all the stories and the videos online.

Baker started the website when he was enrolled in E-commerce web design last year, taught by Scott Aldrich. This process has been going on for a while now, dating back to last year where both he and Aldrich worked on the site.

“Last year Aldrich and I set it up, and we continued it starting at the end of the summer,” Baker said.

The class, though ran by the students, is directed by radio and TV teacher Kelly Gill and journalism teacher Amy Morgan.

“The teachers keep everything in order and are very helpful,” Baker said.

The class itself is a new thing for the district, with the district administration watching to see how the Voyager does popularity and design wise. Now that the website has launched, all of the members are feeling the pressure, as they await the public opinion.

“I’m feeling the pressure, with so many people involved it really needs to be a success,” Connor Oberkrom, senior and writer, said.

Although the pressure exists, this has not stopped students from making the most of the unique experience as well as enjoying it.

“I joined the class because I wanted to do something different, plus I love the atmosphere and the people,” Dan Prem, senior and writer, said.

As for the video side of the website, the radio and TV contributors enjoy the new experience.

“It’s a lot of work but I’m glad to be helping with the website for the first year,” Alyssa Parsons, senior, said.

Baker and the rest of the class have high expectations for the new year.

“My goal is to create excitement for the site and to have plenty of viewers,” Baker said.

Only time will tell if the Voyager can make its much-desired mark on this new world we live in.