Sentimental Senior Year

Kelsey Eisenbarger, Writer

Fall sports are almost over and that means for most seniors, it’s the last time they will step on the field, court or course representing a team. The majority of athletes say goodbye to the sports they’ve played for years. And I’ve never realized how emotional it is until this year, when I realized that it’s almost time to say goodbye to golf. I guess I’m not totally saying goodbye, I do plan on playing golf for the rest of my life, but that’s not the point. In some ways I feel cheated of my golf career because this is the first and only year I will get to represent my school out on the course. I am aware that I have no one to blame but myself. I could have played all four years but I was hesitant and never took the opportunity I given to me.

I had never really wanted to play golf until the end of my sophomore year and then even when I realized I liked the sport, I still didn’t play for the school. I know you’re supposed to live without regrets but I can’t help but wish to travel back in time to start my career a little earlier.

If the underclassmen of the school listen to only one thing I say all year, I want it to be this: always take the opportunity to get involved in school activities. Yeah I know, you’ve probably heard that one before but I’m really trying to stress this to you. Over the years in sports, choir and various classes taught in room 123, I have made some amazing friendships with not only students but teachers and coaches as well. These people have helped me grow and in these activities I have learned so much about myself and others. Cliché, right? But it’s entirely true.

Being involved in high school is where all the fun is at. No one is going to look back on their years at Shawnee Mission West and say “Wow, I really miss the unit circle, take me back to pre-calc.” No. The things that will be cherished and remembered are the fun times and events that took place outside of the academic classroom.

In 5 years I’m going to look back at being on stage, singing in Spotlight Spectacular or watching my very first West Side Show package air in front of the whole school. I’m going to remember the walk out to the bus before the girl’s basketball team went to state last year and spending the night walking the track at Relay4Life as a sophomore. I’m going to remember qualifying for state in golf senior year and wearing “Vikings” on my soccer and basketball jerseys.

But all great things come to an end, right? I just wish it didn’t have to be so soon. (It’s only October and I’m already sentimental about leaving my West family behind…) Gosh Kelsey, get a grip. With that said, I think it’s safe to say I’m not entirely adjusted to the fact that college is only a short year away and it’s almost time for me to move on…but not for you guys! (underclassmen)

All of you Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors can still find that special place in our beloved school that you belong. The activity you just cannot imagine being without. It might be sports or art, for some it could be theater and for others robotics…Whatever makes you happy!

I guess all I’m trying to say is, don’t pass up the opportunity to be involved, Vikings. High school will be over before you know it.