Stick It

Kaylyn Olson
Senior, Paige Parker competing on vault.

The Shawnee Mission West gymnastics team got off to a great start in their first home meet of the season on September 9, 2013. The varsity team competes in seven meets, including state, and Jv competes in four.

The team practices five days a week from three to six. They work hard at every practice so they can do their very best at the meets. The girls look forward to competing against other schools and working their way towards State.

“I think we will be successful this year. We have a strong senior class leading us and several newcomers that are contributing to our team score as well,” Senior, Megan Vanderpool said.

Every gymnast is working very hard to improve and encouraging their teammates to keep doing their best. They are all pushing themselves to the limit and all have their goals set on State. Each individual is helping the team improve their team score.

“I hope that I can keep working and start preparing harder routines to help my teams score,” Senior, Paige Parker said.

They competed against Shawnee Mission Northwest and Shawnee Mission South in their first meet. Overall, Varsity placed second and JV placed first. Megan Vanderpool got 1st on bars and beam and 2nd on vault and floor. She also received 1st in all around for varsity. Paige Parker got first on beam for Jv and Emily sutherland got first on vault for JV.