Shawnee Mission West's online student newspaper

Photo Of The Week

photo by Malcom Luna

Latest Tweets

Out of the Box

Out of the BoxMany students in the Shawnee Mission School District have the chance to extend their education at Broadmoor Technical Center.  Broadmoor offers students many courses that are not available at the other Shawnee Mission high schools.  Erica Medina, senior, attends Broadmoor to expand her learning in the culinary department.

Medina is a student in the Culinary Arts 2 and Restaurant Management 2 classes.  She attends these classes with three other West students.  This is her second year in the program.

“I love being creative with food,” Medina said about her experiences at Broadmoor.  At Broadmoor students have the opportunity to work hands on with food.  They also have the chance to work in conjunction with renowned chefs.

Students learn the basics of cooking, table service, and molecular gastronomy.  Molecular gastronomy is the ability to use science to play with food.  This science is the basis of creating recipes and making your food you own.

Attending Broadmoor requires a large time commitment.  Medina starts her mornings at Broadmoor.  A lot of times she ends her evenings at Broadmoor.

“I am required to work on Tuesdays 4-6 and from 4-9 on Wednesdays.”

Medina is a strong believer in the fact of what you put in, is what you get out of it.

Since Medina is a senior she now has more responsibility.  Taking a leadership role is jump starting her hopeful career in the food industry.

“I hope to own my own restaurant someday.”  All of the opportunities opened by the Broadmoor Technical Center have opened the door for many scholarships, jobs, and new experiences.