Shawnee Mission West's online student newspaper

Photo Of The Week

photo by Malcom Luna

Latest Tweets

Out of the Box

Out of the Box

Throughout the world there are many types of  martial arts.  Aman Walia, junior, participates in competitive fighting of many types.

He is part of a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu club.  Walia also participates in Muay Thai and Capoeira.  Muay Thai is a form of East Asian boxing.  By definition it is the art of fighting with eight limbs.  The average human only has four limbs.   In this type of fighting the competitor may use their knees, arms, legs,  and elbows.  Capoeira is based on boxing, but incorporates music and rhythm.

“I first started wrestling at Shawnee Mission South, but I was terrible.”

Walila transferred to Shawnee Mission West to meet new people and pursue his academics.

Walila has been competing for two years now.  He competes in many tournaments and fights in the 135-145 weight class.  He has won major tournaments in St. Louis, MO and Brazil.  He has been invited to many international competitions including ones in Japan and England.

“I am super competitive and I love the aspect of fighting.”

Walila’s coach at South talked him into trying Jiu Jitsu.  He was a natural talent.  After learning the basics he now focuses on different fighting techniques.  His coach puts him on a diet to get in shape for competitions, but they don’t always work.

Walila said about his diets, “I try to be better, but its hard.”

Once Walila turns 18 he wants to enter the professional ring of MMA fighting.  To achieve his dreams he plans on continuing his training, and working hard at the gym everyday.  He also aspires to be a three time world Jiu Jitsu champion, like his coach.