Ten Seniors Honored with PTSA Scholarship

The PTSA gives away 10 scholarships annually to seniors who have been actively involved in activities they sponsor. Students who were interested in the $300 scholarship had to submit an essay as well as a form, listing the PTSA activities they had been involved in since freshmen year.

“Applicants were required to write a one-page essay explaining how their involvement at SMW made a positive difference in the lives of students and faculty”, said Katy Crow, the Senior Scholarship Committee Chair for the 2011-2012 school year.

“Each year the Shawnee Mission West PTSA awards scholarships to graduating seniors who have been involved in both PTSA activities and who have made a positive impact during their time at West.” said Crow, at the PTSA meeting where the scholarships were handed out.

Crow had to sift through numerous applications, and pick just ten. The process is very secretive, and only those on the committee know how the young scholars are selected.

Ava Clark, a recipient of the scholarship, plans to use it to pursue a degree in Industrial Engineering.

“I was really excited when I heard I had one one of the PTSA scholarships. Its a huge honor. Ill be using it at Kansas State University next year where I will obtain a degree in Industrial Engineering.”

Clark has been hoping to get the scholarship since freshmen year, attending many PTSA sponsored events, including the clean up day and Viking View.

Other recipients include:

Chandler Blanton

Billy Chew

Ava Clark

Connor Henderson

Alex Holcomb

Rachel Knapp

Matthew Moran

Jacob Schnackenberg

Rachel Stamm

Logan Weaver

“We are very proud of the Senior Scholarship tradition and want to see it continue for many years to come.  Congratulations to this year’s very deserving recipients.” said Crow.

Crow also informed me that PTSA plans to continue giving out scholarships for years to come, as they enjoy giving back to the seniors who are a part of their association.

“We are very proud of the Senior Scholarship tradition and want to see it continue for many years to come.  Congratulations to this year’s very deserving recipients.”

Photo: Dylan Crow