Shawnee Mission West's online student newspaper

Photo Of The Week

photo by Malcom Luna

Latest Tweets

Healthy Snack Ideas

As teenagers, at times the period between breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner seems like an eternity. Instead of mindlessly reaching for that bag of chips while watching your favorite shows or grabbing a candy bar when you’re on the go, consider trying one of these snacks. Eating healthy all the time is next to impossible, but little efforts each day can leave you feeling healthier and happier.

Bananas:  High in potassium and magnesium, bananas are the perfect on-the-go snack. They go great with peanut butter, but on their own they are a sweet, satisfying treat.

Fruit:  Don’t be afraid to expand upon the traditional apples, bananas, and oranges. As a high school student, your palette may have matured since your elementary school days, so now is a good time to try some fruits you may not have liked very much before. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, cherries, cantaloupe, watermelon, and many more are all great options.

Nuts:  Don’t be alarmed by their high fat and calorie content; nuts can be a healthy, filling snack. They come in many different varieties (i.e. almonds, cashews, peanuts, pistachios) and even come in different flavors and seasonings.

Greek yogurt:  Greek yogurt is the best thing that happened to the yogurt industry since Go-gurt. Produced in a way that makes it much thicker than regular yogurt, Greek yogurt has more protein and less lactose, making it easier on those with lactose intolerance. A very
creamy, yet healthy treat.

Carrots:  Famous for their reputation of helping maintain good eyesight, carrots are one of the more popular members of the vegetable family. If you’re looking for a nice crunch or a portable snack, carrots are for you.

Cliff Kid Organic Fruit Rope:  A healthier, fun take on the beloved fruit roll-up. These ropes come in a variety of flavors and contain no added sugar. A fun snack worth a try.

Cereal:  Believe it or not, cereal is amazing no matter what time of day you eat it. More and more of the most popular cereals these days are made with whole grains, and the milk provides protein and calcium, two important nutrients for teens. For Christmas, one of my favorite presents was this bowl with a built-in straw for drinking milk.

Photos courtesy of Photobucket