Shawnee Mission West's online student newspaper

Photo Of The Week

photo by Malcom Luna

Latest Tweets

Street Photographer Gives Words of Advice To Young Artists

Friday was a special day for art students. Street photographer Greg Stowell came all the way from New York City – Queens to be exact – to talk to students during seventh block about photography and the essence of telling stories through pictures.

“The city is my palette,” Stowell said.

The statement, which was expressed during Stowell’s 40-minute long lecture, couldn’t be any more true, as he captures the city’s liveliness through his black and white images. Stowell grew up in Olathe, majoring in mechanical engineering in college, but he eventually quit his job to own a frame shop and art gallery. As he was returning home, Stowell was happy to come back and see his family (he has a new great nephew), and also visit with his friend, current art teacher Greg Schieszer.

“For months, Greg [Schieszer] was welcoming me to have a show in town, and kept telling me to come, so I eventually decided to,” Stowell said.

Stowell’s artwork was showed off Thursday night from 5-7 P.M. in the Art Patron’s Gallery, and a large attendance was warmly greeted by Stowell’s friendly personality.

“I enjoy exhibiting. It’s a challenge, it’s a bit scary, but it’s great to gen another perspective on my work,” Stowell said.

The exhibition wasn’t one of the first of his career, but the first time his work was exhibited, Stowell described showing off his work “like walking around with my zipper down all night.”

Whether he’s getting feedback on his work or not, Stowell just loves taking pictures. He fell in love with photography at a young age and hasn’t let go since. After moving to New York in 2001, he began capturing images of daily life, from places such as small businesses to coffee shops to even the World Trade Center, just two months before it collapsed.

“Just getting behind the camera to take the pictures is something I love,” Stowell said.

After seeing the faces of many teenagers during seventh block, Stowell was happy to share his advice with the young and flourishing artists that the school has to offer.

“To all new artists: just keep on doing what you’re doing, whether you’re a photographer, painter, or even writer. Just find what you’re passionate about and what’s in your heart,” Stowell said.

All of Stowell’s artwork is currently being displayed in the gallery, so be sure to check it out when you get the chance.