Crowning The Candidates

February came fast this year and everyone was curious as to who would be crowned for the Sweetheart Court. It’s a custom that all sports and clubs nominate a representative. Nominees are then narrowed down to 12 boys and 12 girls, reflecting the votes of the student body.

The tradition of crowning at halftime almost didn’t happen because of conflicting varsity boys and girls basketball games. Senior Brooke Katterhenry was nominated by varsity girls basketball and was rushed to the crowning because she had a game of her own. Katterhenry luckily arrived on time, and from then on everything ran smoothly.

After that it was time to announce the winners. For the boys, the second attendant was Emilio Fajardo, the first attendant was Michael Higgins, and the king was Derrian Henderson.

“I was really shocked and I actually didn’t think I was going to win,” Henderson said.

As for the girls the second attendant was Amanda Goodwin, the first attendant was Brooke Katterhenry, and the queen was Jazmine Davis.

“When I heard my name I was in shock and so happy to receive the crown from Jordan Wade,” Katterhenry said.

Overall the crowning ceremony was seen as a success, resulting in a exciting half-time experience.