The student news site of Shawnee Mission West High School

Hot Start

Boys Varsity win electric first game of the year.

Brady Hart, Writer

A young Varsity group will represent Vikings Basketball this year. These talented players are coming together to prove to teams around the league that they can hang with anyone. Being known as a team only having two returning letterman automatically makes it seem that the team is “inexperienced” but the maturity shown last Friday night is nothing to look past.

A starting lineup consisting of two seniors, one junior, and two sophomores  faced up against an Olathe East team with nine returning lettermen made it a must watch game to see.

The energy in the locker room before the game was simply electric. Anyone in there would be able to tell that this is a team excited and ready to take on anyone put in front of them.

An absolute battle between both teams was provided for the fans as both teams went back and forth in scoring finishing with a 69-65 win.

Despite the fact that the Vikings were the underdog, playing an away game against a ranked team in the Sunflower League, they showed a fight like no other earning a well deserved win.

The maturity from this game showed the rest of the league that the team has wisdom beyond their age. The Vikings start a tournament at Shawnee Mission East this week beginning with a matchup against Saint James on Tuesday.