Spirit Week at West

Here at Shawnee Mission West I am a sophomore and do Spirit Week. Spirit Week is something we do before a pep assembly or for homecoming. 

Now starting this year I’ve started to do all of the spirit weeks. Like, dress your type day or back to the 2000s and even class colors. For class colors we were red so I decided to paint my whole body red. I will say it, did dye my skin red for a couple of days. 

Then there’s dress your type day and so I went full out the night before and when I showed up to school I was surprised that a lot of people laughed and said it was a good costume. I also dressed back to the 2000s which I went a little far with because I got the sagging jeans, a big shirt, a leather jacket, and a big metal chain around my neck like ones that pull boats and such. 

I would have to say that Spirit Week is very important. School spirit is a powerful and intangible force that brings students, and faculty, in a shared sense of pride and enthusiasm for their institution. It’s more than just wearing school colors or attending sports events it’s a dynamic expression of identity, community, and belonging in our school.

Lastly, I would like to say that theatre is something that also got me into doing Spirit Week because I’m more energetic and want to get out there more and meet new people.