Happiness is like a Box of Kittens

It’s always been a dream of mine to find a box full of tiny abandoned kittens on the side of the road. Wouldn’t that be fantastic? I would wonder who in the world would give them up, but then I would be ecstatic that I was lucky enough to find them.

I would spend time with all of the kittens and choose the one that I want to keep. Then I would spread the wonderful news: anyone who wants a kitten could have one.

I would soon get excited text messages from my friends and they would come pick out their own favorite kitten. When all the kittens were gone, I’d only be left with my kitten and the happiness of knowing that there are others who are just as lucky. And that’s enough for me.

It would be a little sad to give them away, but what would I actually be able to do with ten kittens? They would be too much to handle. I would be happier if I was able to give them to others.

So maybe a box of kittens is a lot like happiness. Christopher McCandless (written about in Into the Wild) realized too late that, “Happiness is only real when shared.”

So how can we share our happiness? It’s not something you can just give away as easily as a kitten. Maybe we could all smile more, or talk to someone new, or catch up with someone we haven’t talked to in awhile. If you’ve stumbled upon a goldmine of happiness, why not share some?