True Life: Scott Dory

Social studies teacher Scott Dory is a man of many hobbies and passions. He is dedicated to every pursuit he takes on.

Dory is a nature photographer; he takes photographs whenever he gets the chance. He uses film cameras and shops on eBay for vintage camera utilities. His subjects include plants and insects at the arboretum, his “wonder dog,” Lily, various art pieces and architecture that interest him.

“I’m an avid and passionate photographer; it’s one of those things I do all the time,” Dory said.

He doesn’t limit himself to still photography. He also videotapes the football and basketball games. He enjoys staying involved in the games and the activities, rather than being just another spectator. In addition to his support of sports teams, he is also notorious for playing putt-putt in class. Surprisingly though, Dory is not a rabid golf fan.

“My ‘love-to-hate sport’ is golf. My wife corrupted me and made me play golf. I love it, I am just not very good at it,” Dory said.

Dory exercises daily: in the mornings and after school. His daily routine consists of many different forms of exercise.

“I do a lot of flexibility work because I used to haul sheetrock and brick in my college days. I do a lot of spinal, torso, shoulder and neck work. Also, leg lifts, stretches and squats,” Dory said.

He and his wife used to run together, but since her knee was injured they tend to walk or bicycle now. Dory used to run 10k and 5k races. Lily, his golden retriever and smallest of the litter, usually attends the walks with them.

“Lily doesn’t cycle very well, so we walk,” Dory said.

Despite her lack of cycling ability, Lily has many other talents.

“While I’m having my morning coffee Lily will work for treats and can do a lot of tricks. She can flip a treat off her nose and catch it,” Dory said.

After his morning coffee Dory headsto school. He teaches world history and advanced placement (AP) European History classes to sophomores. He enjoys teaching now, but feels it is an acquired taste.

“The passion for teaching has been acquired. I like teaching but loving to teach takes a few years. Everyday, short of being up all night grading essays, I love coming here every day to teach,” Dory said.

Dory has a real passion for his subject that is illustrated through his teaching. The students in his classes frequently remark on his lecturing abilities. He can elaborate on almost any event of European History; for example, when asked what European royalty he would be if given the chance, he responded quickly and casually:

“I think I would love, although I would be assassinated, to be Henry of Navarre (Henry IV). He unified France, survived the St. Bartholomew’s Day Massacre, brought the Bourbon dynasty to France and married a de’ Medici woman,” Dory said.

The way Dory balances athletic and educational pursuits makes him very involved in the community. He is viewed as a dedicated teacher, well-rounded athlete, and talented photographer.