Shawnee Mission West's online student newspaper

Photo Of The Week

photo by Malcom Luna

Latest Tweets

6 Best Artists in 2013

The music gods have been quite generous these last few months. I have more music on my Spotify playlists than I know what to do with, and we could all use some new music in our lives from time to time.

For fans of Indie Rock (Imagine Dragons, fun., AWOLNATION)

• The 1975

The British alternative rock band is easily one of the biggest up and coming acts in this scene. Starting with the release of their first EP in August of 2013, they released four EPs after that and came out with their first full length LP on September 3rd, 2013.

Songs to check out- The City, Chocolate

• The Neighbourhood

Okay, you’d have to live under a rock to not have heard their ultra-catchy song “Sweater Weather”, but if you haven’t listened to the rest of their album, “I Love You.” drop everything and listen to it right now.
Songs to check out- Female Robbery, Alleyways

For fans of Pop-Rock (Mat Kearney, John Mayer, Ed Sheeran)

• Parachute

With a combination of pop, rock, and even a little bit of soul, Nashville based Parachute first made their way onto the scene in 2009 with debut album “Losing Sleep”. They released their third full length album “Overnight” on August 13th, 2013.

Songs to check out- You and Me, Kiss Me Slowly

• Paradise Fears

Even though they got their start by following pop-punk band All Time Low on their spring 2011 tour and hustling kids in line to buy their CD, the young (and super talented) South Dakota based band released their first full length album in June 2011 and more recently released their third EP, “Battle Scars” on June 25th, 2013.

Songs to check out- Who You Are, Lullaby

For fans of Pop (One Direction, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga)

• Little Mix

I once heard to not trust anyone who thinks they’re too good for pop music, and I can’t help but agree. Between catchy beats that will be stuck in your head for days, and always leaving you wanting to roll down your windows and sing along, what’s not to love about pop music? Little Mix is a British girl group that won the 8th season of the UK X-Factor and has since been reaching a good amount of international success.

Songs to listen to- Wings, DNA

• Marina and the Diamonds

While Marina and the Diamonds isn’t completely pop, she definitely could be on any top 40 radio station. Marina Diamandis is a Welsh musician who released her first album, “The Family Jewels” in 2010 and “Electra Heart” in 2012. With catchy beats and clever lyrics, she’s easily one of my new favorite artists.

Songs to listen to- How To Be a Heartbreaker, Primadonna