National Walkout Day

1 Comment

One Response to “National Walkout Day”

1. John Jiler on December 20th, 2018 4:02 pm

THE NOTORIOUS NINETEEN
    Dear Editor;
    December is deepening, and seniors are thinking harder and harder about the next step. For many of us, your generation is the hope of the future. The Parkland high school shootings galvanized young people across the nation to passionately advocate for common sense gun laws. Now, as your attention turns to college, we want to turn our admiration into action.
    With the help of the Brady Center, the new Gabby Giffords consortium, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, we’ve reached out to high school journalists across the country with our list of the NOTORIOUS NINETEEN—the states with dangerous, inadequate gun laws. Many of them condone the open carry of weapons on college campuses; others simply turn a blind eye to the potential for gun violence in their state. Our mission has been to make these places known to high school seniors. We’re encouraging them NOT to apply to college in…
    ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, IDAHO, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, UTAH, WEST VIRGINIA, or WYOMING.
    Sadly, your state is on this list. You’re no doubt very proud of the place you live, and you should be. But the gun violence epidemic in this country has taken too many lives, and things must change. You can be part of that change, by encouraging your elected officials and your families and your friends to think about some serious questions. Should teenagers be able to order AR-15s through the mail? Should people with a history of mental illness be allowed easy access to guns? If you feel the answer to these questions is “no,” we all have a lot of work to do!
    Thank you for considering the publication of this letter in your newspaper. Good luck with your own decision about college, and have a safe and prosperous senior year!
    Best,
    John Jiler,
    Coordinator,
    Committee for Scholastic Action On Guns

https://sites.google.com/site/committeescholasticactionguns/home?previewAsViewer=1

The Voyager intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. smwest.com does not allow anonymous comments, and smwest.com requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Entertainment

Choir Concert

• Photo Galleries

Arsenic and Old Lace

• Photo Galleries

Boys Soccer Senior Night

• Photo Galleries

Tennis

• National Walkout Day

Photo Galleries

Signing Day 2018

• National Walkout Day

Multimedia

Vikings First Round of the Playoffs Vs. Olathe North

• National Walkout Day

Photo Galleries

Gymnastics Meet – September 11, 2018

• Multimedia

Westridge Visit

• Multimedia

Senior Awards Ceremony

• Movie Reviews

Beatnik Cafe 2018

The student news site of Shawnee Mission West High School
National Walkout Day