Everything You Need To Know About The Walkout

Students participating in the march for our lives.

Tyler Rains, Writer

A lot of people have had questions about the upcoming Shawnee Mission West school walkout. Here are all your questions answered, concise and to the point.

WHAT IS IT?
The walkout will be a peaceful protest where students get up and walk out of class. It is a call to politicians and citizens that something needs to be done about America’s gun violence problem, specifically dealing with gun violence in schools.

WHEN IS IT?
The walkout will happen next Friday, April 20th at 10:00 am. That is during third block.

WHERE WILL STUDENTS GO?
Students will go to the turf football field.

WHAT IF I’M NOT PARTICIPATING?
For students not participating, they will stay in their third hour until the walkout is over.

HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
The walkout will last for 17 minutes, to honor the 17 people killed in the Parkland shooting. Students should be back in class by 10:20.

WILL I GET IN TROUBLE FOR PARTICIPATING?
No. The district and administration have worked closely with the organizers. There will be no punishments for students participating. However, there will be consequences if students, before or after the walkout, go anywhere except the designated area or don’t return in time.

SHOULD I WEAR ANYTHING SPECIAL?
Students participating are advised to wear orange. It is the official color of the anti-gun violence movement. T-shirts will also be sold on the bridge next week. They will be $10 and a portion of the proceeds will be given to KC Mothers in Charge.

SHOULD I BRING ANYTHING?
Students can bring posters as long as they are school appropriate. If you aren’t sure if it is, you can contact either senior Camryn Kubicki or senior Paige Kring, the organizers.

HOW CAN I STAY IN CONTACT?
There is an official twitter, @SmwWalkout.

1 Comment

One Response to “Everything You Need To Know About The Walkout”

1. Concerned Crusader on April 16th, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks SMWest for getting in blatantly on the political discussion. For as inclusive as you want to be you sure don’t seem to like your 2A students.

The Voyager intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. smwest.com does not allow anonymous comments, and smwest.com requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of Shawnee Mission West High School