The student news site of Shawnee Mission West High School

Sporting KC Brings Home the Title

Sporting bring home their fourth title in six years

Sporting lift the trophy after beating Red Bulls 2-1

Photo by Tucker Love

Photo by Tucker Love

Brady Hart, Writer

On Wednesday, Sporting KC took on the NY Red Bulls hoping to win their fourth U.S. Open Cup Title.

Both teams were fired up and ready to go once the whistle blew to begin the game. The game started out fast paced and intense, with neither team was giving any ground. It was a little chippy at times which made the players and coach, Peter Vermes, voice their opinions to the ref. There were promising chances from both sides in the first half, but it was Latif Blessing that finds the back of the net off the cross from Graham Zusi for Sporting in the 25th minute, giving them a 1-0 lead.

The second half was sure to excite with the Red Bulls only facing a one goal deficit, tying the game up early would be huge. Sporting came out flying, although it was matched by the Red Bulls who desperately wanted a goal. It was Sporting who scored first in the second half. Daniel Salloi finished with a cheeky touch past Red Bull’s goalie, Ryan Meara in the 66th minute. This would be a dagger to the Red Bulls being 2 goals down with only 24 minutes left. Sporting dropped into a defensive setup for the remainder of the game. The Red Bulls did end up getting a goal by Bradley Wright-Phillips in the 91st minute but it was just too late for them to make anything of it.

Throughout the game Sporting looked like a team that was confident and strong. They have a very good squad this year. It all starts with goalie Tim Melia who is a wall in front of goal. Midfielder Benny Feilhaber mans the middle as a very vocal leader. Finally all the way up to their pacey forwards of Gerso, Blessing, and Salloi. This team has all the components needed to be a very frightening opponent to face. They currently are tied for 2nd place in the Western Conference, just one point behind the Vancouver WhiteCaps.