The student news site of Shawnee Mission West High School

Filed under News, Showcase, Student Life

Research and Beyond

Junior Erin Smith is researching above and beyond with a privileged summer research opportunity

Jennifer Leahy

Jennifer Leahy

Junior Erin Smith has recently been accepted to a summer research program called “Research Summer Institute,” a joint research program. She will likely be mentored by a professor from MiT and Harvard during her program.

In total, she says that she spends upwards of 10-20 hours per week on her research and studies for this cause.

Erin included that she’s very interested in the creation of wearable devices like the “FitBit,” with the extra addition of putting psychological influences into her research. Erin has already got her sights set on perhaps creating something like a “FitBit for emotions.”

“Ultimately, I want to use this summer opportunity and the other opportunities I’ve had in high school and beyond […] to perpetuate my knowledge and my understanding of the world,” Smith says. “To help create tangible changes,” on a global level.

When asked about where she stems many of her unique ideas, she explains, “I usually…try to take completely unrelated topics and merge them into something technology-related.” Partly of how her “FacePrint” app came into being, was inspiration from the TV show, “Lie to Me.”

The creative and high-achieving student has received multiple awards for her efforts in the sciences, BioTech, and general research.

As for her aspirations into adulthood, Smith claims that she wants to be a social entrepreneur.

“I don’t know if what I want to be has a standard job title right now,” Smith said.

But that certainly has not stopped her potential.

Jennifer Leahy
Who knows? Perhaps after this summer, we might have the makings of entirely new technologies cleverly designed by West’s own: Erin Smith.

1 Comment

One Response to “Research and Beyond”

1. Sophie Terian on March 3rd, 2017 12:16 pm

Go Erin!! This is wonderful. I love the “FitBit for emotions” idea. I’m excited to see all the amazing ideas that will blossom from Erin’s mind over the course of her life.

[Reply]

The Voyager intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. smwest.com does not allow anonymous comments, and smwest.com requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Research and Beyond

News

Sporting KC Brings Home the Title

• Research and Beyond

Entertainment

A Bushel and a Peck: Local Apple Picking Hotspots

• Opinion

Accessing Multimedia Illegally, Okay or Not?

• Research and Beyond

News

SODA for the Community

• Research and Beyond

News

Monday becomes [Sun]day

• Research and Beyond

Showcase

Firefighting Frenchmen

• Opinion

Column: Resting Players in the NBA

• Research and Beyond

Showcase

Varsity Baseball vs. SM South Raiders (3/28/17)

• Research and Beyond

Entertainment

Review: “Logan”

• Research and Beyond

Showcase

Boys Basketball Advances to Sub-State Final

Research and Beyond