Martha Marcy May Marlene: Movie Review

Theatrical release poster for "Martha Marcy May Marlene".

The astounding debut of director Sean Durkin becomes an instant classic. “Martha Marcy May Marlene”, the newest independent thriller starring Elizabeth Olsen, is one of the best films from this year.

A young and clearly unstable Martha (Olsen) leaves a manic farming “family” and calls her sister and only remaining family member, Lucy (Sarah Paulson), from a payphone. At first, little is known of Martha’s sudden leave from the cult.

Lucy offers to pick Martha up after not seeing each other for two years, and takes her home to her and her husband’s lake house in Connecticut. There, Lucy and her husband, Ted, are vacationing. Lucy and Ted are only beginning to notice Martha’s strange behaviors.

Martha’s accustomed to living in a communal setting, with the self-sufficient cult, and doesn’t think much of climbing into bed with Lucy and Ted while they’re making love. She doesn’t find it odd that she swims naked in front of the married couple. Martha doesn’t understand the necessity that Lucy and Ted feel to own such a large and grandiose vacation home.

Slowly, in small and telling pieces, Martha’s past is exposed. In beautiful segments, Martha’s veiled history of her last two years are brought forward. The audience sees the farm-based cult, its members and what led to Martha’s deterioration.

Patrick, the cult leader, is a charming yet disturbingly authoritative man, who’s idea of a communal living style is adopted by his cult members. He finds susceptible and vulnerable members with broken family situations to join his cult. Played by the skillful Hawkes (potential Oscar nomination), Patrick is powerfully persuading.

The information about his disconcerting cult is brought forth as the audience witnesses Martha’s rough transition into the home of her sister. Martha rejects Lucy’s attempts to help, and soon witnesses a complete breakdown.

In constant paranoia, Martha fears that the cult is returning to get her. Martha’s past experiences of being raped and lied to are shown as she tries to reach normality.

“Martha Marcy May Marlene” is a staggering account of one woman’s escape from a hostile environment and the revisit to her family ties. Sinister, morbid and deeply disturbing, “Martha” is an extreme story of the darkest side of repair.

Rating: 4 / 5 stars

Rated R, 1 hr 41 min