Shawnee Mission West's online student newspaper

Photo Of The Week

photo by Malcom Luna

Latest Tweets

Premature Spoiler Alert

The recent Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer, released on October 9th, caused quite a commotion in the Star Wars fan base after its release. Mere minutes after the trailer dropped the internet started to fill with complaints from fans saying the trailer gave too much away and spoiled major plot points in the movie. One of things that really got fans upset was a moment in the trailer where it is implied that the movie’s main villain, Kylo Ren, will kill off long time main character Princess Leia. Fan were understandably upset, first off because they may lose a long time fan favorite character of the series, and secondly because the trailer is possibly giving away that Carrie Fisher will be written out of the series after passing away from sleep apnea. Even the movie’s director, Rian Johnson, warned fans that the new trailer was “too spoilery for some fans’ tastes”.

Although it is understandable why some fans are upset, I think it’s worth taking a step back before jumping to conclusions. For one, we need to understand that some of these scene are being taken out of context and out of order. Also some of the clips we see in the trailer may never actually make it to the final film. At least two clips from the Rogue One trailer and one from the Force Awakens trailer never got into the final cut of their movies. Bottom line we have no idea how these clips fit together within the actual film.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that we shouldn’t get up in arms over a trailer. Trailers are meant to hype us up for a movie, and this is a Star Wars movie. Being a Star Wars fan myself I’m still very excited, regardless of the trailer, for the movies release in December. If anything I think trailers should unify fans in excitement and give them something to talk about. Spoilers or not, this movie will be amazing.