Movie Mash-Up

Movie+Mash-Up
Jaap Buitendijk

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

It is hard to wrap up the amazing penultimate movie that will end the Harry Potter series. Harry, Ron and Hermione are alone in the midst of their search for the remaining horcruxes that Lord Voldemort has hidden. The Ministry of Magic is under extreme changes as they are taken over by wizard “purists” and everyone is fighting back. As far as I remember there are very little discrepancies between the book and the film.

Rating: Awesome!

Due Date

Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis play the typical unlikely pair duo. Downey Jr. is Peter Highman who is a high-strung father-to-be trying to get back to LA for his baby’s birth. He ends up hitching a ride cross-country with Ethan Tremblay, an aspiring actor who lacks common sense. This is just the beginning of their many troubles on the journey home. Of course, over time, they become friends. The only bothersome part of the movie was that it was very predictable because it is such an overused plot. The humor was similar to that of The Hangover, but it was not as randomly inappropriate.

Rating: Pretty good.

Love and Other Drugs

Set in the late 1990s, Jake Gyllenhaal plays a womanizing pharmaceuticals sales representative. He meets Anne Hathaway in the doctor’s office while getting medication for Parkinson’s disease. They develop a relationship and must overcome the obstacles of the disease. It looks like it could be pretty funny and very heartfelt.

Upcoming:

I Love You Phillip Morris (Dec. 3)

Based on the real life events of con artist and multiple prison escapee Steven Jay Russell (Jim Carrey). Russell falls in love with fellow prison inmate Phillip Morris (Ewan McGregor). After Morris is released from prison Russell tries to escape four times to be with him. It looks potentially funny and very dramatic in parts.

True Grit (Dec.22)

This is the Coen brothers remake of the original 1969 True Grit. A young girl endeavors to avenge her father’s death by a man named Tom Chaney (Josh Brolin). She persuades an alcoholic US Marshal named Reuben J. “Rooster” Cogburn (Jeff Bridges) to help her. It looks great because the Coen brothers always produce amazing movies and it has a very classic plot with great actors.

Tron: Legacy (Dec. 17)

The sequel to the original 1982 Tron. Sam Flynn, protagonist, is haunted by his father Kevin Flynn’s (Jeff Bridges) mysterious disappearance. Sam finds a strange signal in the abandon Flynn’s Arcade and is sucked into the video game world wear his father has been trapped for 20 years. The father and son set out across the world Kevin had created to escape both the game and the villain who will stop at nothing to keep them there. It looks cheesy, of course, because the first one was, but it does seems pretty interesting and we all want to know if they make it out or not.

How Do You Know (Dec. 17)

The film is focused around a love-triangle between a professional softball player (Reese Witherspoon), a corporate executive from her past (Paul Rudd), his lawyer (Jack Nicholson) and her boyfriend (Owen Wilson), a major-league pitcher for the Washington Nationals. It looks funny but kind of like your average romantic comedy.

Photo credit: Jaap Buitendijk/MCT