Q&A with Principal Loe

Alex Sanchez, Writer

If you have set one foot in Shawnee Mission West, you know we have a newly acquired principal. The thought of yet a new principal may have overwhelmed some, but change is not necessarily a bad thing.

Steve Loe is Shawnee Mission West’s new principal, and with him he brings a whole lot of excitement. Loe has two daughters who attend West; senior Maddie Loe and freshmen Kenzie Loe.

Below is a list of questions we asked Principal Loe so that we could get to know him.

SMWEST.COM: Before coming to West, what school were you at and what was your role?

Steve Loe: I was the lead principal at Comanche, and I was there for three years.

S: How has the transition been from an elementary school to a high school?

SL: It’s been pretty smooth. I am lucky to be the new principle this year because the first sixth grade class that was at Comanche my first year I was principle at Comanche, they’re freshmen now, so I see a lot of familiar faces. It’s just a matter of readjusting to teenagers instead of little people. Everyone has been very good and welcoming and it’s just a great place to be at.

S: Where did your career at SMSD begin, and what was your role?

SL: I started off as a middle school English teacher at Westridge Middle School, teaching seventh graders and that lasted 4 years.

S: After teaching at Westridge, what was your new occupation?

SL: I taught here at West for 8 years. I taught sophomore and junior English classes and my last year was a twelfth grade advanced placement English class.

S: After 4 years at Westridge and 8 years at West, which school did you want to move to?

SL: I went to be an assistant principle at Shawnee Mission East for 6 years and after that I took on lead principal at Comanche for three years until I came to West.

S: Since you mentioned you were assistant principal at East, where do you like it better; East or West?

SL: Well their are good things to both schools, but I’ve always had a fondness for this area because obviously this is where my kids go, I used to teach here, and I really like the staff. Nothing against East, it’s just that it feels more like home here.

S: Since West feels a lot like home to you, how did you feel knowing that your kids would be going to the same school you are a principal at?

SL: Well the number one thing is I don’t want to take away from their high school experience. I want them to enjoy high school without breathing down their neck. When we talked about this opportunity and the possibility about it, I wanted to make sure that they were okay with it.

S: Looking back on the laptop deployments and the whole process with this new technology, did it go as planned and even better or were there some minor issues that you had not envisioned?

SL: I thought it was going to be rougher physically giving out the devices but that was the smoothest part. The Apple ID’s  as well as the Google accounts were the bumps in the road.  The students have been patient and the staff has been really good.

S: Now looking ahead into the school year, what are some things your are excited for in the weeks to come?

SL: Getting out and about in the classrooms, watching good teaching, sporting events, orchestra and theater performances.

S: Have you attended a sporting event at West and if so, what is your take on our student section?

SL: I have been to sporting events in the past. As for the student section, I want it to be spirited. I want it to be loud and crazy as long as it is positive. The only problem I will have is when we try to tear down the opponent verbally, I think we need to use all of our energy in being positive for us.

S: On a final note, what would you like to tell the student body?

SL: The number one thing is learning is not a spectator sport. You’ve got to be engaged every time you are in a classroom. And then, make sure you are doing extracurricular activities, get involved beyond the classroom, it’s important. High school is boring if you don’t get involved!